My big hitchhiking adventure has thus far been purely a solo feat. But, as I get ready for my expedition partner Daniel Aspey-Smith to join me next month (I am VERY excited!), I consider the pros and cons of solo travel versus with a friend.
With a partner
- Share costs, get a private hotel room instead of two dormitory beds.
- Share the load. They help you make decisions and are good at helping with stress.
- Your memories are shared, which makes them more golden. You can get them to back you up when telling the stories too
- Less scary going in to unknown places. I myself become very reserved in situations like this, but with company I am very open. It is a completely different experience.
- Not as lonely
- Less boring
- You make all the decisions
- More exciting
- You are more immersed
- You meet more people, have deeper conversations and more unique experiences
- Self-confidence boost
- More personal time to read, reflect and process
- More help from strangers, opening you up to unique experiences such as having dinner in Uzbekistan
- True freedom. You can go wherever you want, when you want, say what you want and do what you want (within the limits of local laws)
- Greater sense of achievement. You did it yourself, off your own back. That feels great.
I had to begin with a group, because solo, I’d probably have had a break down. Only after 2 months was I ready to go solo.
Butv whether you choose to adventure solo or with a buddy, be sure to enjoy your time!
– On June 01 2017, I left to hitchhike alone around the world –
#hitchhiking #adventure #tomsbighitchhikingadventure #aroundtheworld #adventurer #backpacking #british #dehydration #expedition #explorer #explore #gopro #hitchhike #newdayadventures #pleasestopimnotakiller #travel #worldtravel